Monday, March 3, 2008

Fast forward

My absence is not because I have run out of things to say … I just don’t know what I want to say. What I should say. What I need to say.

So, I’ll start with this weekend.
The weather was gorgeous and I took full advantage of it. I needed it.
Some friends and I walked around downtown on Saturday and then checked out open houses just for fun yesterday. I fell in love with the east part of town. It's quite a place filled with antique shops, artsy places and just awesome "stuff". I have a feeling I'll visit there often. I've even gotten a little sun ... so enjoyable.

Problem is, I think about him. I can't help it. He's not in the forefront but he's there for sure. I wonder if he'd like this store or that. I think about how we'd probably have fun just walking around. But he doesn't want to do that with me. How is it easy to forget that? But, I do.

I’ve been going to bed with the TV on. I don’t know if that’s a good idea because then I dream about strange things. I don’t want any time of my own to think because it just goes back to him. What could have been, should have been, will never be. Then I think of how he’s probably with her. And happy.

He wonders why I’m still so hurt. Hm. He thinks it’s because of her. Her? Really? Well, I mean, it is. I’m sad that he’s found someone that isn’t me especially when my gut has told me (and guts CAN lie) that we’d be SO GOOD together. But, I must be honest, while that is difficult, while that does pain me, it’s the fact that … that … that I’m hurt. That in my head I’ve allowed him, created him to be exactly what I want. I’ve made myself believe that except for that one thing I’m everything he wants. But do I want someone who has the capacity to say the things he’s said? I just kept forgiving it all because … because I’m crazy.

I’m hurt because he hurt me.

I think this is a heartbreak. A real one. Truth be told, perhaps the first. But it's different. I suppose they all are different.

I haven't talked to him in a few days. I admit, we got together on Wednesday. It was nice. Actually, it was really nice. We hung out for 7 hours with never a dull moment, awkward ones but never dull. He was left speechless by my gift. What can I say? I'm thoughtful. I'm incredible girlfriend material ... just for someone else.

I feel like I need him by my side while I find my way back to me. Even if it means he’s just a friend. There’s part of me that doesn’t want to lose him at all, no matter what. How twisted is that? He's the one who broke me down, made me feel like I wasn’t good enough and he has apologized but those words still ring in my ears. I can’t make it stop. I want him to fix it. I want the guy that kept me coming back. He's great. He's wonderful. He's what I want.

Or so I've let myself come to believe.

It’s funny to me that the first person I think I’ve truly fallen for is someone who has told me I’m not pretty, has questioned my talents and has intentionally never introduced me to his other circles of friends.

I know it could be worse. I need everyone to know that. Or maybe I need to know that. I was watching that Oprah giveaway yesterday and a woman on there had tragically lost her husband – he was shot while at work. A friend of mine got married, then pregnant and her husband turned into (or perhaps she realized he was) a total loser. Women are murdered by the men they love. Another friend’s boyfriend of years and years, the one she was planning her happily ever after with, who she vacationed with, spent holidays with, told her he just didn’t love her anymore and walked away. Oh, boy could I go on and this is just in the love category.

I just met a boy. He said some great things. He also treated me worse than I've ever been treated. I fell anyway. And he didn’t fall back. He fell ahead. Right into someone else. Leaving me to pick myself up. On my own.

What’s a girl to do? Stay friends and just get over it. Never talk to him again. Run. Run fast. Keep obsessing, wishing. Give and not get. Stay hopeful. Listen to more sad songs. Realize what I deserve, hurt for awhile and move on. Keep writing until I figure it out.

I don’t know.

There will come a day when I will read this and roll my eyes. Wish I could just fast forward.

UGH. Stupid boy.

32 comments:

So@24 said...

Loved this post. I still have moments exactly like the one you described.

I used to fall asleep to the tv, the most important thing is distraction. To constantly have your mind focused on something else so you're not in this mental torture.

God, I know exactly what you're talking about.

The Ex said...

ohhh, I wish I could relate right now. I feel like I'll never have another heartbreak. Ugh - grass is always greener, eh?

Brunhilda said...

This is so, so true. I tried not to let myself feel it when I was dealing with my last break up, but it didn't really help anything. I don't know a good way of moving on except to do it.

just jamie said...

Oh, Ms. RJTrue... you're hurting. And you're letting yourself hurt. That part is wise. That part stinks, but that part will get you to the next part. You know, when you go a whole day without thinking of him. Then two days. Then, fast forward to the day you're strolling with the *real* man you belong with, and you bump into Mr. A-hole, and you think, "What was all that fuss about?" It' will happen. Just wait.

Cheers to your fast forward moment.

Misty said...

Oh, Baby...... you're in love, and heart broken. And, I know how horrible that can be - - that kind of heart ache.

This I can promise: a) you will find your way. b) time will heal this wound. and c) TRUE and WHOLE love WILL find it's way to you. There will be another "one and only"

Keep your chin up, kid.....

And - keep me posted (abnmln@gmail.com). Vent. Talk it out. Call me, even, if you need entertainment. No one should be hurting alone, THAT, I will NOT allow.

(hug)

Krystin said...

I feel like you explain exactly what I'm trying to say, except you make it easier to understand and a little bit more attractive (even though I know it's not).

and, responding to your comment - things are fine. There's something oddly refreshing about learning to breathe.

KG said...

Man . . . I've NEVER done that. Seriously. I cut my losses and run. I'm just not a regret/thoughtful/remorse type person. Even when a dude has hurt me! I shrug, say, "he's a douchebag," and move on. So maybe I just don't get it . . .

But for the 500th time . . . he SUCKS! CUT AND RUN!

Chevy said...

Girl, do I feel your pain. The circumstances surrounding my break up were different from yours, but heartbreak is heartbreak. I can identify with you wanting to have him around to help gude you through your hurt, and I understand not wanting to live in the silence. But you HAVE to! I just realized this weekend that I don't think of my ex as much as I used to. And when I do, I realize that I'm doing alright without him around. You have to heal your own hurt!
Yes, all in time, RJTrue...all in time. Keep venting...we're here for ya!

Laski said...

"That in my head I’ve allowed him, created him to be exactly what I want. I’ve made myself believe that except for that one thing I’m everything he wants."

This tells me that you'll be OK. You'll make it through AND you will come out stronger, smarter, and better for it.

I just adore Misty . . . No one should be hurting alone. She's right. I need to remember that :) XOX . . .

Amy said...

you will get through this. though it hurts so much now, good things will happen. it's usually when you least expect it, but they will happen!

Lori said...

I know you are hurting... and I realize that nothing anyone says will make the pain go away. But trust someone who's been there done that... the best thing to do is move on. Put the past in the past and move on with life. Spend sometime taking care and spoiling yourself... go shopping, eat ice cream, go out with your girl friends. And, one day you will look back and realize that you've grown and gone on and that he wasn't worth the extra time and energy!

Kellan said...

I'm so sorry you are going through this heartbreaking time. I know you will hear it a lot, but it will get easier with time and you be okay, but it is not easy to hear when you are going through this pain. I'm sorry - I offer you my shoulder.

I'm Kellan, btw - see you soon.

Pam said...

I'm sorry to hear all that you are going through! I came here from LaskiGal! I hope you are able to move on and find someone who will make you feel happier then you ever imagined!

I noticed we have the same (almost the same- yours is way cuter!) picture!

RJTrue said...

Thank you all ... at the moment, there's not much more I can say.

Anonymous said...

Why do we let men get to us so? We all are qulity of it. Wait..did I say men, I mean boys! U will get thru this at ur own pace and timeframe. Never let anyone push you!

tommie said...

visiting via Laskigal....

So sorry to your heart is broken....Even after almost eleven years of marriage, I remember my first heartbreak. As bad as things seem now, they do get better....way better!

Lindsey said...

Have a pity party. You so deserve it. Mourn the loss of what you thought this relationship could be. Then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back on the proverbial relationship horse.
This is all the process. He's out there and all the heartbreaks and losses will make that one lasting relationship that much more fulfilling.

Someone once told me that 90% of all your future happiness rests in your choice of a spouse. Consider this a push in the right direction:)

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Hi!

I know it feels like this weight your carrying on your heart will never go away, but it will. That old saying, "time heals all wounds" really is true. With time your heart will heal, it will soften, and you'll be able to appreciate your relationship for what it was. You'll be grateful for the good times you shared, but aware that there were problems and it wasn't really as perfect as you once thought. Someone new will spark your interest when your heart is ready to accept it, and you will experience all those wonderful feelings again. This time with someone who truly cares about you. Best wishes to you, and I hope you're feeling better soon!

Lizzy

Kat said...

I came over from laskigal's blog, and I'm so glad I did.

You sound like an incredibly smart woman. You know what you should do. What you need to do. You just need to find the strength to do it. And you will. But there is a grieving process. Let yourself mourn. You need to. But don't let it overtake you. He does not deserve that much of your heart.
The truth is. You will find someone worthy of you. And when you do you will look back and think, why did I let myself feel that way? But it all serves a purpose. And will make the right love all the sweeter. But you already know this.
Hang in there. I've been there. It does get better. :)

Momisodes said...

Oh sweetie....I so remember this scenario. I can relate on so many levels with so many Ex's. The man I thought I would marry did the same, and I moved to another city, alone...with nothing (no friends, family, or car). I had to sever ties completely for a while. It hurt too much. I wish I could fast-forward time for you. I'm sure inner hell is torture...but I promise, it will only make you stronger. Blogging so honestly is a already a testament of how true to yourself you really are. You'll find your way...A way that works for you. ((hugs))

Angela DeRossett said...

You will make it through this. YOU are worth more than what he can offer YOU.

marisa said...

My heart's aching for you! I wish I could say the magic words to make it all better. But I love what just jamie wrote: you're letting yourself hurt. Give yourself one more week max and then you have to do something about it to move forward. Keep yourself busy with a new adventure perhaps. But don't lose hope. *big hug*

Tara R. said...

Sorry to hear the pain you're going through... let yourself grieve then move forward... even if it's one day, one hour, one minute at a time. It does get better, you'll get better and stronger. =)

Burgh Baby said...

You will most definitely roll your eyes at the whole thing. Eventually.

*hugs*

Lori said...

I came over to your blog from "From the Cheap Seats", and as I read...well...I know exactly what you are going through. It is tough to get through. It will take time - alot of time - don't rush yourself or get into another relationship too early. Keep writing and circling yourself with friends. You will get to a better place! Promise!

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

hate it...heartbreak is so tough. i've had my heartbroken so often...broken engagement (fiance was CHEATING!) and finding out i was "the other woman" when the real girlfriend called me up...WHAT A JERK...the guy, not his girlfriend. i am so sorry that you are going through this heartbreak but i will tell you...that every heartbreak made me a better person and made me more appreciative with the REAL THING when i got married. but while you're going through it...IT SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!! Let yourself go through all the course and journey of emotions...you'll be fine, I promise. *elizabeth

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

You said it perfectly....

"Stupid BOY" that is exactly what he is, a boy. From one gal who has experienced a few stupid boys in her day....this too shall pass.

My advice, invite your girlfriends over, purchase a gallon of ice cream and talk until you are blue in the face.

Blessings, Joanne

Oh, and by the way...I eventually got over my stupid boy and married a real man....you will too.

Kristen said...

Here from LaskiGal's Blog.

Just wanted you to know to hang in there. So sorry to hear that you are going through a emotional and trying time. I hope that writing this account down helps to ease your mind each day.

Wishing for happier days for you.......

Laski said...

Wow! This is some serious bloggy love you got goin' on. Aren't they fabulous!?!

Wise words . . . very wise words . . . love.

Jess said...

OH! How I've been in that very place! I wish I could fast forward the time for you! Because you are right in thinking that one day, this will all seem so trivial. But, I know right now it's anything but trivial. It's all encompassing, heart and mind consuming turmoil (for lack of a better term).
My best advice is, seeing as you like country music, right? Put in "Shut up and Drive" by Chely Wright and listen to it 'till it sinks in! :) I've nearly worn mine out myself!
But, hang in there, know that 'this too shall pass' and please remember that you deserve nothing less than a 'smart boy' who realizes all you have to offer.

~Jessica

crazymumma said...

okay. been there done that.

and girl? You are better than him and all that. Get yourself away from him!

flutter said...

this really is an amazing post