Friday, April 4, 2008

My sister ...

In honor of her birthday ...

A lot of you know Laskigal - From the Cheap Seats. And perhaps you've figured it out or this may be news to you.
She's my big sister.
She's the one who encouraged me to begin writing a blog. We decided not to say anything - not for any real reason, just because.
So, now if you go back, you might realize it. Lots of "ohhhh, yeah" kind of moments.
I suppose the big one would be the one on heartbreak and asking people to offer support to me (which, I still, and eternally will, appreciate all of you for!). Yes, she's a great blog friend, but she's also an AMAZING sister.

We now live further away from one another than we have before. It's about 9 hours. Yet, we are closer than ever. I probably talk to her 5 times a week. For awhile there, I'd call her twice a day just to get through the agonizing pains of heartbreak.

I don't think there are any words poetic enough or any actions telling enough to thank her for being the best sister in the whole world. She'll say, "Oh, you don't have to thank me ... I'm just your sister." (I know her too well).

Well, let me tell you what this woman, who is 'just my sister' has done for me and share a little bit more about her:
- She makes me laugh when I call her crying.
- She cut my hair when I visited (yup, that was me at WalMart!)
- She 'yells' at me for being late for work because she wants me to have a good reputation
- She helped me countdown to college
- She's still a city girl when she drives
- She knows when something's up within the first few seconds of hearing my voice
- She always tells me to 'be safe and have fun'
- She believes in me, even when I don't believe in myself
- She researches everything just to make sure she's in the know
- She knows how to listen
- She knows how to handle our mom
- She helps me handle our brother - because all I ever want to do is argue!
- She's the most hands on, loving mother I've ever witnessed
- She's patient
- She's helped me write all 5,000 versions of my resume - and I have a pretty damn good job now!
- She's protective as hell
- She questions my choices. Not because they're wrong but to make sure I really want to make them (I mean, hell-o, SB)
- She never makes me feel stupid
- She's funny. Probably the funniest person I know
- She's one of those people that is equally stunningly gorgeous inside and out
- She gives the best advice ever
- She can so often by the only light on a dark path for me.
- She's disgustingly smart!
- She's incredibly, genuinely humble
- I am a better person because of her.

I always wanted to be just like her when I grew up. I can't say that has changed too much. I still want to be like her in so many ways. I take it as a huge compliment when people tell me about a similarity between us - even if it's one of our crazy habits/traits! I don't know what I would have been without having her around as I was growing up. She has taught me what unconditional love is all about.

I thank God for her. She's my sister and truly, wholeheartedly my very best friend.

It's sort of like being friends with someone who's famous. But a whole lot better :)

Happy Birthday, sis. I love you to pieces. I hope that one day, in some way I can find a way to thank you for being the very best person in my life. Until then, please know that I am forever grateful for you and I will always, ALWAYS pray that God blesses you with the very best of what life has to offer.

You can have my kidney - even if you don't need it. Just like as a gift or something :)

13 comments:

Angela DeRossett said...

Thanks for giving such a good post about Laskigal for those of us who don't know her IRL. Sounds like a wonderful sister!

Laski said...

*sniff*

I <3 u 2

Kellan said...

I love Laskigal - now I love you too if you are her sister!!! How cool! This was a nice tribute to your wonderful sister - it sounds like you are both lucky to have each other.

Thanks for stopping by - see you soon. Kellan

tommie said...

aawww, how sweet! It is truly amazing to be able to say that about a sibling.

Misty said...

Touching in such a heartfelt way..... you're right, she is wonderful. Just like you.

KG said...

Awww . . . that's great! What a fabulous surprise. Of course, now I'm saying "duh" that you guys are related. Anyway, what a great tribute for her!

Lindsey said...

How lucky you both are! It is wonderful to have a sister that you count as a best friend:)

You are so sweet and so is she!!!

Anonymous said...

how nice and thoughful of u!!

Amy said...

I was wondering the other day if you two were sisters.

What a nice post and a wonderful tribute your sister.

just jamie said...

NO WAY!!! Man, I am so bad at those clues. Really, nuh-uh?!

Well, I wish you two would adopt me as an honorary sister 'cause it sounds like you've got a good thing going.

Sheez. Seriously, still shocked over here.

Kat said...

That was a fantastic birthday tribute to your sis and I'm sure she deserves every bit of it. She is one of my fav bloggy peeps. How lucky you two are to have each other!

Laski said...

Will you update already!!! Good grief! LUV U

Marmarbug said...

AWWWW1 Ya'll are sisters! That is awesome!