Monday, February 11, 2008

The day of love ...


I love love. I am not in love. I haven't been for a little while (if I’ve ever even truly been at all) but the mere thought of it just makes me smile.

I must admit that just after I moved here over 6 months ago I made a big “to do” list. I joyfully accomplished every single one of them but one: have a date for Valentine’s Day. I don’t know why I wrote that down because it didn’t really go with everything else I had set out to do; even so, there it was written.

So, it may then go without saying but I don't have a Valentine (though a teenaged boy did ask me today if I would be his - sweet but no!). But I still love the day nonetheless. I'll probably even wear pink. I'm not that type to wear black and be angry that the day exists and that I am single. I understand why people do that but I cannot find it in me because that, in and of itself, seems to be way too much effort.

I don't think it's just a Hallmark holiday ... well, I suppose it is, but it isn't JUST that. All holidays have become victim to candy aisles and strange paraphernalia (you know heart shaped bobble heads with psychotic smiles, stuffed animals dressed up AS the Easter bunny, Christmas tree shaped ice cube trays - this list does not end, friends!) but there is still some real valid reason they came about in the first place. Good 'ol St. Valentine's tale happens to be my favorite.

The history behind it is quite muddied but the one I like best, and true or not, is that this man (Valentine or something sort of like it) defied his ruler who outlawed marriage for his potential soldiers. Valentine thought this to be ludicrous so he performed marriages in secret. And the story continues that perhaps Valentine, after being put in jail, found love and wrote some lucky lady many a love letter and signed them "from your Valentine"

Oh, be still my heart! What a guy.

Okay, maybe you think it’s cheesy but who cannot love love or at least be a little bit moved by someone who literally risks their own life because they believe in love? Believe me, I have many reasons not to because one particular Valentine's Day from years ago holds terrible memories that I cannot and may not ever shake. However, my heart and even my mind find their way back to the thought, the idea, the reality of what it really is all about. So simple. So pure. So love.

So, yes. If you have love you should celebrate it every single moment you feel it but what's the problem with taking out one day to enjoy it, to soak it up, to spend a little money on it, too!

I don't have any plans, nor will I wait by the door for flowers to be delivered (though I may hope for a singing telegram ;) but I can guarantee that this lovely, albeit bittersweet day will be enjoyed by me and hopefully many, many of you!
What's a girl gotta do on Valentine's Day? Love love, friends.

2 comments:

marisa said...

Talk about love...I LOVE this post! You have such a healthy view of Valentine's Day!! I love that!

Laski said...

You get LOVE. That is so very rare . . .