Monday, June 7, 2010

Memoir - page one

My sweet sisters gave me a gift - The Book of Me. There is space on every page to share a memory, a fact, or a story about my life. About me.

I thought I'd share my answers here - and perhaps you want to answer the questions for yourself, too.

AKA

What is your full name? Rebecca Jean T

How was that name chosen? For many years, I thought my middle name, Jean, was after my Grandma Jean who wasn't really my grandma. And, God rest her soul, she wasn't the happiest of souls. Finally, one day, I asked my mom and it turns out I'm named after my aunt - it's her middle name. As for my first name ... it wasn't what my mom originally had in mind. She liked Catherine and Suzanne and, I think, Janelle. But, she went with Rebecca once she saw me and because it was from the bible. I might have to ask her again, though. Just to be sure!

What are all the other names you have used? Oh man ... Becky, Bex, Speck, Beacky, Jeannie, Beckster, T, Lil Turkey, T-ster, Ms T, FP, Seester, MT, Gurl, B*Bomb, T-Time, Sweet T, T-Top, Puddin' Head, Angel Baby ...

How did you get those names? Well, most of them are variations from my given name, obviously. Puddin' Head and Angel Baby are from my Dad and Mom. I probably have a million from my 10 letter intimidating last name.

Have you ever been called by a name that was distasteful or hurtful? Not really. At least none that have really mattered. My last name can be somewhat like "Turds" but, in hindsight, it's humorous.

If you could choose a different name, what would it be? Perhaps something less common but I love my name - after 29 years, it helps define me. I love my last name because it's so different and quite the conversation piece. And, I like the idea that my middle name is after someone important to my Mom. As for Rebecca ... there are few people who call me by my given name - it's mostly Becky. Sometimes that seems silly just to say - a little young, silly but I suppose that can help always keep me youthful.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

LOVE this! Can't wait to read more. :)